Alone again….


I have been missing my husband lately.  It seems like he’s never home.  Don’t get me wrong, I totally enjoy having time to myself.  But sometimes you get so busy it takes an “aha” moment to bring things back into focus.

I woke up this morning about 1:25 a.m.  The house was silent.  No low murmur of the tv from the living room.  I thought I heard a motor slowing down but no.  I noticed the silence because it meant Mike wasn’t home from Baltimore yet.  1:44 a.m. and still no Mike.  I remember thinking that I parked in the driveway in his “spot” where the truck goes.  “I should move the van,” I thought to myself.

My mind began its own journey with me flying behind to keep up.  It’s about an hour’s drive from Baltimore’s House of Rock where the band was playing.  The eight-foot bed of the truck was LOADED with amps and speaker cabinets and guitars and cables.  Kind of a heavy load.  Mike had a 36 hour migraine the day before.  He was not quite himself.  He was tired.  He was tired and driving a HUGE load of musical equipment in a pickup truck AND WAS PROBABLY FALLING ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL… AND WHERE THE HELL IS HE ANYWAY?!!

I heard the truck slow down as it passed the mailbox.  I heard it begin backing up the driveway.  I met Michael as he was walking to the front door. “Where are you going?” he asked me.  “I’m going to move the van.  I’m in your spot, right?”  “Yeah, actually.  Thank you.”  I backed a semicircle into the yard and around the still-running truck at the top of the driveway.  Mike backed into his spot, got out and made sure the cap was locked.  We went back inside.  “What are you doing up?”  “I woke up and you weren’t here.  How was the gig?”  “Aw, GREAT!  We had a great night.  The crowd hung out with us. It was a lot of fun.  Wish you had been there.”  “That’s great,” I said.  “Glad you had a good night.”

We went to bed.  He was asleep in no time.  I got up around 2:15 and read till 3:30, unable to sleep.  I went back to bed.  I woke Mike up to tell him he was snoring.  “Sorry, sweetheart,” he mumbled.  And he stopped snoring.  He was sleeping soundly this morning as I left to bring our daughter to school, which is usually his job.  He needed to sleep, so I let him.  It was the least I could do since he was good enough to make it home safely last night.

[image found here:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s